6 Things You Didn't Know About Virgil Abloh's Off-White x Air Jordan 2
Virgil Abloh's Off-White x Air Jordan 2 might be his most polarizing creation yet. The Air Jordan 2 might be one of the least popular retro models but the pre-crumbled midsoles seem to have people on two sides of this upcoming release. With that in mind, here are 6 Things You Didn't Know About Virgil Abloh's Off-White x Air Jordan 2 that will either make you love them or hate them more.
1. The Michael Jordan autograph on the side of the shoe came from an actual MJ signature scanned in and recreated for the shoe. It took 4 or 5 tries for them to get it right.
2. According to Virgil, "MJ, before every game had box fresh pairs. and after the games he would sign pairs and sometimes give to fans. this Off-White™ pair is made from an actual pair of that stock, that today is crumbling in Jordan DNA archives."
3. The fake crumbling midsole is so accurate because the pair that was scanned to make the Off-White x AJ2 was a pair that Michael Jordan himself once had back in 1986 and it was returned to Nike's archives at some point, unworn.
4. One of the most important details for serious Jordan 2 collectors is the toe box. For years, retros have looked nothing like the original. Virgil and team made 4 different samples before getting to the proper toe box design.
5. The packaging is equally as over the top as the shoes themselves. Each pair comes in a transparent box comes with semi-transparent paper wrapping the shoes and, according to Virgil, a pair of the white gloves that are used by anyone who steps into the Nike DNA archives.
6. Virgil Abloh chose the Air Jordan 2 Low because he starts his projects by searching through old photos. For the AJ2, he wanted a pair that Michael Jordan wore but wasn't worn on a regular basis (MJ only wore the Air Jordan 2 Low a handful of times).
You can read more of Virgil's comments on the Off-White x Air Jordan 2 on OG collector Sean Collard's page.
Look for the Off-White x Air Jordan 2 to release on November 12, 2021.
CHECK OUT SOME OF OUR MOST POPULAR STORIES
750,000 People Are Trying To Buy Those Nikes You Want 🤯
7 Weird Sneaker Facts You Didn't Know
Travis Scott Has More Nike Collabs On The Way
Love It Or Hate It: The Impact of Virgil Abloh and Off-White